Lausanne/WEA Creation Care Southern Africa Consultation
19th-23rd February 2018 at African Enterprise Centre, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
- a Christian leader who is concerned with how we are treating the Earth and its creatures, (both human and non-human), and wonder how you and your faith community (church, organisation, learning institution) can be a part of the solution?
- strategically placed and eager to promote a practice of creation care inspired and shaped by the Biblical story within your denomination, institution, or organization, and to be a catalyst within your community and circle of influence?
- from Southern Africa (Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe)?
If you answered “Yes” to each of these questions, we want to connect with you!
The Lausanne/WEA Creation Care Southern Africa Consultation will be the 9th regional conference in a global campaign to jump-start or strengthen evangelical creation care movements. The consultation seeks to catalyze a movement of Christians who will develop new and strengthen existing creation care partnerships and initiatives. We are looking for strategic Christian leaders within Southern Africa who have a passion (or the seeds of a passion), for caring for God’s good creation.
The conference will be focusing on three themes: ‘God’s Word’ (exploring the theme of creation care in the biblical narrative), ‘God’s World’ (the state of the environment globally and especially in Southern Africa, including Climate Change, sustainable agriculture, biodiversity, waste and pollution, marine issues) and finally ‘God’s Work’ (looking at practical examples of creation care we can learn from, and future responses we can engage in as Christian communities, to demonstrate God’s love for all creation and develop strong creation care networks nationally and regionally). We have assembled a range of respected theologians, scientists and creation care practitioners both from within the region and further afield.
What you need to know:
- We hope to attract 8-10 people from each country in the region (Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe) who could be part of a strategic plan to catalyze creation care in their country. If you are from outside the region but still interested in attending please contact us (see email address below).
- The costs depend on what accommodation you choose and vary from R.1,800 – R.3,000 per person including accommodation, food and conference fees. Transport is extra.
- To book for the conference, please visit http://ae-centre.co.za/conference-registration. Please do not book if you have not yet got the means to pay.
- We have a very limited amount of bursary money only for those within the region. Everybody is expected to pay some costs, and asked to raise what they can from partner churches and organisations as our funds are very limited. To enquire about bursaries contact firstname.lastname@example.org